Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Genesis Rabbah XLIV:XVIII

Genesis Rabbah XLIV:XVIII

1. A “Then the Lord said to Abram, ‘Know of a surety [that
your descendants will be sojourners in a land that is not
theirs, and they will be slaves there, and they will be
oppressed for four hundred years; but I will bring judgment
on the nation which they serve, and afterward they shall
come out with great possessions’]” (Genesis 15:13–14):
B “Know” that I shall scatter them.
C “Of a certainty” that I shall bring them back together
again.
D “Know” that I shall put them out as a pledge [in expiation
of their sins].
E “Of a certainty” that I shall redeem them.
F “Know” that I shall make them slaves.
G “Of a certainty” that I shall free them.

Number 1 parses the cited verse and joins within its simple formula
the entire history of Israel, punishment and forgiveness alike. Not
only the patriarchs, but also the matriarchs, so acted as to shape the
future life of the family, Israel. One extended statement of the matter
suffices.

No comments:

Post a Comment